DIY Mold Test
Mold on door
You can expect mold and mildew outside your home because of the natural damp conditions of the outdoors. Mold and mildew inside the home is a different problem, because the inside of your home shouldn't remain damp.
The presence of moisture is the biggest contributor to mold growth, and to fight the infestation you should conduct a room-by-room assessment of the house to identify problem areas. The moisture can come from condensation due to poor ventilation (attic), from a water leak (around bathrooms), or from outdoor intrusion (foundation walls).
Mold and mildew in a home is not always easy to detect if it exists within attics or is hidden within walls. If you suspect your indoor air quality is hindered by hidden mold, you can conduct your own DIY test to detect a problem.
The EHT staff recently conducted the Healthful Home 5-Minute Mold Test in a finished basement that had suffered some previous flooding problems. The air seemed fine in the room, but the old moisture issues suggested that if there were to be a mold problem in the house then it was likely to occur in this room.
The test is easy to accomplish. Simply use one of the cotton swabs included with the kit to sample surface dust in the room. Soak the swab tip in the "rinse buffer" liquid (included) and then drip five drops of the liquid onto the two test strips that come with the kit. One strip is labeled Asp/Pen (Aspergillus and/or Penicillium) and the other is labeled Stachybortrys.
Test results show in as little as 5 minutes, and much like a pregnancy test you'll either see one line (negative results) or two lines (positive).
Luckily, our home tested negative. If the test is positive, however, it does not necessarily mean you have a serious problem but that you should consider consulting a professional indoor air quality inspector or a remediation service professional SERVPRO of Elmhurst. You can also have an optional laboratory analysis of your test results conducted for an additional fee.
Fighting the Mold you Find
If you discover mold on the home's interior, the first step in solving the problem is to eliminate the source of moisture, whatever that may be. Otherwise, any mold or mildew you clean is likely to return.
For minor problems you may be able to clean the surface of the materials with an antimicrobial cleaner. For major problems, remove materials that cannot be thoroughly cleaned of mold and mildew, like insulation, carpeting or drywall. Use your antimicrobial cleaner to clean the surrounding area as well as the places where you actually see mold and mildew, to make sure you remove all traces of the substances.
Finally, replace the removed building materials with new, mold-free materials. For more information call SERVPRO of Elmhurst 630-758-1701.
For Immediate Service in Elmhurst, Call SERVPRO of Elmhurst
SERVPRO of Elmhurst
SERVPRO of Elmhurst provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in Elmhurst. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Have Questions? Call SERVPRO of Elmhurst 630-758-1701
Whether your Elmhurst home needs emergency flood damage or your upholstery cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
There's never a convenient time for fire or Water damage to strike your Elmhurst commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. When the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business.
Mold Remediation and Removal
Mold in basement
If you have mold anywhere inside of your residence or business, your home could be compromised. This microbial growth is a silent and many times undetected condition, but one in which you must be concerned about.
It can come in several different colors, and it looks like a fuzzy covering on surfaces that seems to come out of nowhere. It comes about from spores that travel through the air and when the spores land where conditions are just right, it will plant itself and grow.
It needs an area where it is dark, and where there is a moisture supply and where there is no moving air. If it finds these conditions, it can grow seemingly overnight and cover an entire wall in a matter of days. So areas such as basements, attics, closets, crawl spaces, and bathrooms are prime candidates.
Mildew and fungus are many times mistaken for mold, but they are not the same. Even though they have similar looks, they are very different types of organisms. Mildew and fungus are usually more greenish in color, whereas mold can be reddish, brown, green, blue, and black. The black kind of mold can be the most serious simply due to its growth rate, its hardiness, and difficulty in eradicating.
If you discover the microbial growth, you should contact an environmental hygienist to discover if it is fungus or mildew or not. An environmental hygienist is available with most cleanup organizations and companies who specialize in mold cleanup and mitigation. You should never attempt to clean up an area that is suspect yourself because that could be dangerous and ineffective. Mold cleanup should only be done by experts.
Most people who will attempt mold cleanup and mitigation by wiping it off will think that they have succeeded, but they will have only wiped off the top of the microbial growth. The organism itself has tentacles or roots that can penetrate and take hold in just about every substance there is except for glass. That is why you will see it growing on the surfaces of wood, cloth, shingles, walls, and even concrete.
The microbial growth will grow on the inside of walls too, so it may go undiscovered for quite some time before anything can be done about it. When the environmental hygienist diagnoses it as being the problem a process of mold removal and mitigation must begin as soon as possible. Workers who work at mold removal will wear special clothing and masks to protect themselves, so they will not be exposed any toxic effects.
Fungus and mildew will not cause harmful effects, but certain kinds of the microbial growth can even give off toxins, especially the black kind, so respiratory protection during its mitigation process is very important. The environmental hygienist will supervise and treat the area, so the mold cleanup process will assure that the substance will not easily reoccur. Need more information, call SERVPRO of Elmhurst at 630-758-1701.
How to Manage Water Damage Restoration of your Home
No homeowner should attempt to recover from a flood alone. They will find the house much easier to recover once they have called a water damage restoration and mitigation firm. The firm that does mitigation and water damage restoration knows specifically how to make the house look beautiful one again, and they will do all the work on their own. They will handle everything from water cleanup to repairs on the house, and this article explains how they will find their home returned to a proper condition.
#1: The Water Damage Assessment
There are many people who must have water damage assessed in their home before they may choose to begin repairs or recovery. The flood damage will be repaired by the water restoration and mitigation firm, and they will have many people come to the house to repair the house after the water is removed. The water in home issue is unique because the family cannot move in until after they have cleaned up. They will repair all water in home problems in a short time, and they will notice there are many ways to ensure that their home is cleaned.
#2: Air Movement and Drying
The drying and air movement process is one that must be handled by the company as soon as possible. A water restoration team knows all the mitigation methods, and they will run fans, open windows and use other mitigation techniques to ensure the house will be dry. Any flood damage or water damage must be repaired as soon as possible, and the water must be removed from the house using the traditional air movement and drying techniques that are used across the industry.
#3: Water in Business Problems
There are many water in business problems that may be handled the moment the mitigation company arrives at the house, and they will show the customer how water damage restoration is completed. Water cleanup may be completed in moments, and it will be a full process that involves the removal of all water damage and flood damage. The flood may be internal, and it may be external if there were storms in the area. Water cleanup may take some time, but it will be done using only the finest techniques.
#4: Moving Quickly
Water in home and water in business problems must be removed as quickly as possible, and someone who has an idea of how to handle all the water will know how to complete the process of water removal. The water cleanup process involves the air movement and drying that must be done, and there are many technicians who will arrive at the house to complete the job.
Fire Damage Restoraton Information
Fire in bedroom
There is nothing more devastating than a fire in home or fire in business. Seeing one's personal belongings or business products go up in smoke is a stunning experience that makes one wonder what to do next. Often the first indication of a fire is the smoke smell.
The day following a fire is the time to start planning on fire damage restoration. Fortunately, there are commercial fire damage companies who specialize in the fire cleanup process. In a severe fire, one is talking about fire cleanup starting from scratch. However, in many cases the fire is confined to a limited area.
The first step is to contact a commercial fire damage company that specializes in fire cleanup. This company will have the equipment and expertise to clean up smoke damage, soot damage, a smoke smell and all the other problems that have been caused by the fire.
1. Upon being contacted, the professionals will immediately arrive on the scene to make an inspection and determine the amount of the damage. Whether it is a fire in home or a fire in business, they will carefully survey the area and provide a written estimate of the cost of the repairs. This is especially important with commercial fire damage where there are often large amounts of salable goods involved.
2. If the fire damage has caused a breech in the walls, roof or windows, the professionals will immediately use boards and tarps to cover these areas to prevent further damage. This protects the property from vandals or weather damage.
3. Unfortunately, fire hoses must spray water to put out a fire. This is part of the fire damage that is left behind. Removing this water quickly will avoid things like warped boards or the formation of mold. Professionals are equipped with large dehumidifiers, blowers and air movers to clear the area of excess water and dry the area.
4. Today's professionals in the business have the equipment and materials to return many of the items suffering from soot damage or smoke damage to their pre-fire condition. They sanitize and clean all items that are salvageable.
5. Smoke damage and soot damage are fire damage restoration problems that require special consideration. Using special equipment, as much smoke and soot as possible will be removed. In many cases it will be necessary to repaint or refinish some surfaces that are smoke stains. This, as well as replacing drywall, making minor or major reconstruction, painting and so forth, can be done by the specialists by contract.
Commercial fire damage can be costly. Not only in the actual damage to a building and goods, but in the lack of business caused by the shutdown. This makes it imperative to obtain the services of a specialist in the area of fire damage restoration. An experienced company will be able to quickly access the damage and present a plan to cover all aspects of cleaning up the fire in business circumstances.
When a fire in home is involved, have a professional immediately address problems such as soot damage, smoke damage, smoke smell and general all over fire cleanup. They will carefully explain the cost, the methods used and the end result. As a rule, an insurance company must be contacted before work can begin.
Professionals in the area of fire damage restoration are especially trained in the ins and outs of fire damage that occurs when there is a fire in home or a fire in business. In addition to training, they have the equipment and materials to address things such as smoke damage, soot damage, smoke smell and other things caused by fire damage. This makes it possible for them to start work immediately after a fire and have the home or business back in tip-top shape quickly and efficiently. Visit http://www.SERVPROElmhurst.com for more information on fire damage.
Faster to your Elmhurst Water Damage
Water damages in the basement.
Photo Caption: SERVPRO of Elmhurst provides 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service in Elmhurst, Bensenville, Hillside, Berkeley, Franklin Park, Melrose Park, Stone Park and Northlake.
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Elmhurst provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Elmhurst arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 –SERVPRO of Elmhurst
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
We Specialize in Flooded Basement Cleanup and Restoration!
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Call Today – SERVPRO of Elmhurst
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of Elmhurst and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today 630-758-1701 – SERVPRO of Elmhurst is Ready To Help!
Ready To Help
SERVPRO of Elmhurst is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help Call Today - SERVPRO of Elmhurst 630-758-1701
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Elmhurst has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Elmhurst
SERVPRO of Elmhurst specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
IICRC Certified Firm
SERVPRO of Elmhurst is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
* Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
* Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
* Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
* Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
* Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.