As we begin to enter Spring season, the process of snow melting can cause water damage to homes and businesses. This will then lead to flooding. It could be minor or major, but still cause water damage problems. Here are some ways to help prevent water damage as we enter this spring thaw out season. Now, you may not be able to prevent water damage under ever circumstance, but you can prepare your home ahead of spring-thaw months to prevent common causes of damage.
1. Basement pumps- install a sump pump or sewer backflow value and keep a battery-operated backup in case of power failure. Also, make sure to consider installing a water alarm that warns when water is accumulating in your basement.
2. Basement storage- Make sure to keep valuable items out of your basement. Removing any electronics or stored valuables from your basement prior to spring-thaw warnings could prove to be an important ounce of prevention.
3. Debris removal- Be sure to remove debris from window wells, gutters and downspouts.
4. Doors and windows- Check for any leaks around doors and windows.
5. Exterior walls- Keep all exterior walls of your home well painted and sealed.
6. Flood drains- If you have flood drains, make sure they work properly.
7. Foundation cracks- Make sure to inspect your foundation for cracks that will allow water seepage and initiate repairs.
8. Fuel tanks- Permanently anchor any fuel tanks.
9. Grading- inspect the grading around your home and make any changes. Design the grading to encourage the water to flow away from your home.
10. landscaping- Make sure to trim trees and bushes away from your home and do not store wood or compost piles nearby.
11. Roof- Keep your roof in good repair. Unless a tree falls on your roof during a storm, most insurers expect you to maintain your roof to prevent water leaks caused by snow melting or torrential downspouts.
Whether you are able to control the situation or not, we here at SERVPRO are always here to help you get your home or business back to like the disaster never even happen. That is way we are always here to help!