Biohazard and Sewage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Biological waste, substances like human blood and fluids (or related substances), animal waste, microbiological wastes, pathological wastes and medical sharps must be approached and processed with care.
These substances are dangerous to public health and you cannot approach clean-up like you would any other mess. So, you must use precaution. Our team of pros are experienced and skilled in biological waste cleanup. We are able to come alongside your business and help clean up with biohazard mess.
If you are to come across some biohazard mess think SERVPRO of Elmhurst, we're "here to help."
Below our team has put together tips of what steps you should take if you come across a biohazard mess.
Need Biohazard Cleanup? Call Us Today – (630) 758-1701
After any biohazard or sewage contamination in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences.
- Flood water can contain sewage, pesticides, and other contaminants.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
What to Do After a Contamination
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
What Not to Do After a Contamination
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
24 Hour Emergency Service
Biohazards like flood water or sewer backups should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. SERVPRO of Elmhurst has water damage restoration specialists and has specific training and expertise to safely remediate biohazard contaminants.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- Franklin Park
- Stone Park
- Schiller Park
- Melrose Park