Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Our SERVPRO of Elmhurst team understands that if your home or business in Broadview, IL suffers from fire damage, you will have a million things on your mind. Your primary focus should always be safety. Is it safe for you and others to be on your property? The first thing you should do is give SERVPRO of Elmhurst a call. Our team has the experience, expertise, and equipment to properly clean up and restore your property back to pre-fire conditions, no matter the size of the loss. After giving us a call, check out the DO's and DON'TS listed down below to see what you can do until help arrives.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (630) 758-1701
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.